FAQs – Landscaping your Verge

FAQs – Landscaping your Verge

To keep the streetscape at Virginia Grove looking attractive, we’ve prepared a set of fast FAQs about your verge below. For further details please visit City of Playford – Verge Landscaping and Maintenance Guidelines…


What is a verge?

Your road verge is the area of road reserve between the edge of a street or kerb and the boundary of your property. This area can include a footpath, landscaping, bus stops, signage, trees or street furniture including lamp posts.


Who owns the verge?

Your verge adjoins your allotment, and is classified as council land. The Local Government Act states that a “road” extends from property boundary to property boundary and includes the carriageway, footpaths and verge.


Who maintains my verge?

Council does not have the resources available to maintain residential verges.  They will not subsidise or assist with the development or ongoing maintenance of verges. The responsibility for ongoing maintenance of your verge rests with you.


What is allowed on my verge?

The City of Playford has a set of guidelines for landscaping on verges.


Permitted treatments include:

  • Low plants (maximum 600mm height at full maturity)
  • Turf (irrigated and unirrigated)
  • Compacted rubble (10mm or less)
  • Groundcover (lawn substitute)
  • Organic mulch materials (must not be large and become a tripping hazard or easily blown/kicked onto paths and into the storm water road network)
  • Pebbles (12mm or less)


What is not allowed on my verge?


The following verge treatments are not permitted:

Fully-impervious materials such as paving and concrete, except for crossover and footpath. This includes impervious membranes under mulch, or other materials, such as black plastic

  • Rough, coarse or irregular mulch materials which are uncomfortable or difficult to walk on
  • Large-sized mulch such as river pebbles must not be used
  • Hard landscaping structures such as moss rocks, sleepers, edging, letterboxes and metal stakes
  • Vegetation that is prickly, poisonous or thorny
  • Chemical soil sterilising treatments
  • Vegetables, fruit trees and/or herbs
  • Artificial turf is not recommended and will not be permitted if the following currently presents on the verge:
    • Upgrade of underground services
    • Street tree placement


Why do I have a council street tree, and who is responsible for it?

Every residence has an allocation for a council street tree consistent with Council’s street tree policy. The indicative location of your designated tree will appear on your Building Envelope Plan. If you need it moved from this location you will need to arrange the relocation of your tree to a more suitable location within your verge area. The responsibility for ongoing maintenance for your street tree rests with you.


Do I need council approval to landscape my verge?

If you plan to landscape your verge with a permitted treatment – you do not need approval. If you are seeking to landscape your verge with a non-permitted treatment – you can apply for approval using a form on Council’s website.



For more information regarding verge landscaping please visit City of Playford or contact the City of Playford on 08 8256 0333.